Can you please explain all this.. choosing the topic is the first step in doing an editorial. It may not be an easy task because a lot of significant
events could be happening at the same time while nothing exciting could be going on at another time. Moreover, the editorial writer must make sure that the choice of topic will catch the interest and attention of the readers. However, the task of choosing a topic may be simplified with the following guidelines:
1. choose a subject matter that is of significance to the target readers. Tell them about something that affects them as individual or as members of the bigger community and society.
2.Limit the discussion by choosing a specific topic. Broad subject matters are usually unwieldy and difficult to cover. Nevertheless, consider topics as a source of specific ideas to write about.
3. write about current events in school but get ideas as well from national and international news that are of significant to the readers.
4. write different types of editorials about varied subject matters. A page of editorials having the same type and focusing on the same topic will bore a reader.
5. Discuss possible topics with other editorial writers and members of the staff and adviser, and learn from their ideas. Do not hesitate to ask for help or suggestion when necessary.
6. Conduct research that may be necessary for a good choice of topic.
Read a lot and talk about issues with other people in order to have a comprehensive perspective of what is going on around your community and society. A broad knowledge about the subject matter will make one an authoritative and confident editorial writer.
7. Refrain from writing on too- often- written - about topics unless they can be presented from a new light and with a new touch.