1. Intelligent somewhat arboreal ape of equatorial African forests.
2. Any of various primates with short tails or no tail at all.
3. Of or belonging to the hominid genus Australopithecus, Any of several extinct humanlike bipedal primates with relatively small brains of the genus Australopithecus; from 1 to 4 million years ago.
4. Extinct species of upright East African hominid having some advanced humanlike characteristics.
5. Extinct species of primitive hominid with upright stature but small brain, "Homo erectus was formerly called Pithecanthropus erectus"
6. Second part of the Stone Age beginning about 750,000 to 500,000 years BC and lasting until the end of the last ice age about 8,500 years BC.
7. Latest part of the Stone Age beginning about 10,000 BC in the Middle East.