1. Determine the problem & define the question to answer
2. Find general background about your problem/question.
3. Use the library to find books.
4. Use article indexes to find and follow the research regarding your problem/question.
5. Consider using the Internet to find government information and open access articles related to your topic.
6. Collect, read, evaluate and write what you have learned.
7. Cite the information you have found so that others will be able to follow your research trail.